Planning Update Delays
As a result of the Covid 19 pandemic, the United Kingdom entered a nationwide lockdown on the 23rd of March 2020. This meant that all non-essential services were required to either close or work remotely where possible. This resulted in a number of local authority services being suspended.
With the current easing of the lockdown, we can confirm that our planning team in the UK are engaging with all the relevant authorities to ascertain the progress of all our sites.
We are treating this as a matter of urgency and we hope to have some updates to share with you in the next 2 to 3 weeks.
BURNHAM-ON-SEA, SOMERSET, UK Sold Out
Our latest strategic land investment site is adjacent to the settlement boundary of Burnham-on-Sea, Somerset. On successful allocation of the site for residential use, it is projected that the plot owners will enjoy in excess of 350% net returns over a seven year period.
The site consists of low grade agricultural land which is adjacent to existing residential development in Burnham-on-Sea. The site is strategically placed on the eastern edge of the town with direct access from the town's main distributor road. It is in a sustainable location, being well located to the town's main supermakets, health care facilities, schools and employment areas, therefore making it a suitable location for an urban extension.
Our Planning Department Comments
- The Core Strategy for the whole of Sedgemoor District, including Burnham, was adopted and replaced the old Local Plan in October 2011. This sets out the broad strategy for development in the district and specifically identifies the site at Brue Farm.
- The Core Strategy submission document at Policy Sl proposes that at least 1575 dwellings should be developed in Burnham-on-Sea and Highbridge over the plan Period, as together they represent a sustainable town.
- The absence of any large brownfield sites in Burnham-on-Sea means greenfield Sustainable Urban Extensions (SUE) are required to meet the housing requirement.
- To establish the preferred SUE location the Council undertook a detailed study which identified our site as a possible location for development. Although this site was not chosen as the preferred location, this was a finely balanced decision that favoured Brue Farm to the south of the town.
- When the next phase of the town's expansion is being planned, land to the east (where our site is located) will be the planners focus.
- Hallam Land together with David Wilson Homes have submitted their formal application for 550 homes, leaving a shortfall of over 1,000 homes still to be built, which will lead to early development here.
Latest Planning Update
North Somerset District Council continue to prepare a new Local Plan in line with the West of England Joint Spatial Plan and its implications for the emerging planning policy for the District.
Following, the publication of a Pre-Commencement Document earlier this year during which representations were made by ourselves as late as March 2020, the latest Executive Committee meeting has confirmed the councils intention to move to the next stage of the emerging Plan, Challenges and Choices draft for the Issues and Options Regulation 18 Consultation.
We are pleased to confirm that our representations late last year and earlier this year were successful, and Sedgemoor has confirmed that the Strategic growth will need to occur in Burnham subject to potential flood risk being addressed. Given that the flood risk is solely from coastal sources, these risks sits between our and other identified sites and the coastal threat. Much of our work submitted to Sedgemoor revolved around this issue.
Whilst we await the publication of this document, consultation commenced 18 May 2020 which will initially comprise online only consultation, with face to face consultations scheduled for later in the year once social distancing has been relaxed. We will continue to advocate the inclusion of Burnham as Sedgemoor's cross boundary contribution to the Local Plan and a high-level Sustainability Assessment has been undertaken which should be published imminently.
We await confirmation of the timetable for the balance of the consultation process once clarity on social distancing, etc. has been provided.